With the MS SQL Server 2008 obstacle out of the way (I am back to MS SQL Server 2005) I am finally finishing the setup of my LiveCycle ES development environment. The applications I need are:
- LiveCycle ES with PDF Generator native application support
- LiveCycle Workbench with LiveCycle Designer
- Acrobat Professional
- the usual browser, AIR, FlashPlayer etc.
In order to get LiveCycle ES PDFG Native Application support to work I need to install Acrobat Pro before LiveCycle ES first. For the Workbench, I need to have FlashPlayer 9 (somehow it won’t work with FlashPlayer 10), but I can not have Acrobat Pro installed. With that, the installation order becomes:
- uninstall all FlashPlayer versions.
- install Flash Player 9 ActiveX (from the LiveCycle ES download).
- install LiveCycle Workbench.
- install Acrobat Pro fom CS4. It will generate an error and tell you it didn’t install correctly. When you run the install log analysis tool, it will tell you that yes an error did occur, but it is an unknown error with no known resolution. Ignore it, just test that Acrobat Pro works.
- install LiveCycle ES with PDFG and native application support.
- install FlexBuilder.
- update your FlashPlayer to version 10.
That’s it. All dependencies are now satisfied and all applications now work. Except perhaps Acrobat Pro, I still don’t know what that error was about and it will probably crash horribly in the middle of the next LiveCycle training. And it only took me 6 tries to get there.